Sunday, November 18, 2012

Keyboards Shortcuts and What's the Deal with Vistaprint?

Sometimes I like to mess around and experiment with keyboard shortcuts. It appeals to my OCD nature to methodically hold down one or two keys and press others to see what happens. Not that any of these are a secret or a major discovery, but these are the ones that I tend to use the most.
*topic change*
So what's the deal with Vistaprint? I read about other teacher bloggers who rave about Vistaprint. I guess I don't know how that would benefit me as a teacher. So I'm asking those of you who order from Vistaprint to tell me what you order and how you use it so I can jump on the bandwagon! And where do you find your great coupons?

*topic change*
I am linking up with Teaching FSL for an efficient reporting linky. Last year when my grade was at the intermediate school, we only had 15-minute conferences. Sometimes is was very hard to get everything in during that time, and sometimes I was done in five minutes. I used this form so that I made sure that I shared the same things with each parent, otherwise I go off on a tangent and forget. It's also something that they could take home with them and discuss with their child or spouse.
Obviously, you're not going to want to use mine, but you could adapt for your own needs.

But now that my grade is in the middle school, we have drop-in conferences and it's much more difficult to plan since you have about 5 minutes with whoever shows up. And any number of the 65 sets of parents could come. And we don't do as much standardized testing, so I don't have a lot of data. So I'm not sure how I'm going to prep for tomorrow, but I have about eighteen hours to figure that out!

4 comments:

  1. I discovered Vistaprint last year and ordered a bunch of stuff through them. I have 2 of the free small car magnets (testing tips to stick on the whiteboard, please do not disturb we're testing - outside door), I have a bunch of the free business cards for library books to check out to students, contact information for BTSN, encouragement cards that I write a little note to kids, homework passes, birthday homework passes, etc. I have also gotten free book bags, free pens, free personalized stickers, free personalized stamps, free postcards that I have turned into thank you notes, etc. They send me emails that if I click the link will take me to a special page for extra savings. If you go to their website there is a free area for business and another for home. I found them through the Mama Cheaps website - she posts when great deals come out, and then found that Stephanie at Teaching in Room 6 has a whole page dedicated to her ideas too (intermediate grade ideas). I have my stuff posted too on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got my first order, and it's awesome!!!

      Delete
  2. Ugh! Drop in interviews sound very stressful and draining! Thankfully, we have 15 minute time slots as well.

    Having the students keep portfolios, perhaps in a drawer or in crates that you can pull out as the families show up might work. Also, any "prep" you do with the kids ahead of time you could have ALL of them do as a metacognition and goal setting piece, regardless of whether they think their parents will be popping by to visit you!

    I have some VistaPrint tips too, but I'll pass them along to you a little later... gotta run!

    Thanks so much for linking up!!

    Tammy Aiello @ Teaching FSL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portfolios are a good idea. I will keep that in mind for next quarter!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I reply back by email, so please make sure you have that option enabled. Have a great day!