Seven Reasons for Exploration

A few years back, I started using Hands-On History: Explorers by Michael Gravois to use with our textbook to make things more hands-on for my early explorers unit. I also use his Colonial and American Revolution ones as well.

The first activity that I use is the Seven Reasons for Exploration activity. You start by making a cute mini-book out of a sheet of paper. Here are the visual steps.












You can use this book for anything! After filling out each reason (curiosity, wealth, fame, religion, national pride, better trade routes, and foreign goods), students glue their booklet on the first page of their explorer notebook and title and decorate it.


Explorers

4 comments

  1. Hi Diane,

    I actually just made one of those 8 page mini book. I love your directions. Thanks for sharing. =)

    Janna
    Fabulous Finch Facts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little mini booklets! Great instructions too. :) Thanks so much for stopping by my little blog.

    Being Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leading me to yours! I am going to have to try out some of your foldable ideas! I'm also your newest follower!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to making one of those mini-books for my next Social Studies unit on WWI. Thanks for the share!

    http://fantastic5thgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I reply back by email, so please make sure you have that option enabled. Have a great day!