Monday, December 17, 2012

New Anchors Away Linky

Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher is starting a new monthly linky called Anchors Away. It is dedicated to anchor charts.

I have three charts that I'll be sharing this month.
The first one I used a lot when my fifth grade class was more self-contained and students stored their personal supplies in their desks. We developed this desk rubric so I didn't have to answer the question "Is my desk clean?" twenty-four times every Friday. We started with what we thought a 5 desk would look like, what a 1 desk would look like, and then what a 3 desk would look like. In order for them to go to Friday Fun, their desk had to be at a 4 or 5 (some of my students preferred their books to be flat instead of standing). I still had one or two insecure students who just needed that verbal reassurance, but for the most part, I had no questions. I was able to have a student be the official desk-checker just to make sure that students weren't sneaking out before they had a clean desk. It made the expectations very clear.
The second anchor chart that I've used frequently is a copy of the word collector from CAFE. I use one for every novel that we do, and the kids love finding words to add. I usually call on four to five kids per chapter to add one of their words to our class collector. After we've talked about the meanings, I will give them a sentence with a word missing, and they have to find the word that fits in the sentence.
The last anchor chart is from when I used to teach math. The G stand for gallon, the Q's are for quarts, the P's are pints, and the C's are cups. So if you want to know how many cups are in two quarts, you count up the C's that are in two Q's. Very handy!

That's it for now. Go link up with Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher so I can see your anchor charts :)


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE the word collector anchor chart idea - I'm definitely going to try that in January. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I usually use small book groups in my classes, but this year, I'm going to do a whole class novel with my sixth graders in one section. They need a little more support than my other classes, and I love the idea of having them add to the vocabulary I think they should know. Thanks for sharing!
    Marion
    www.mentoringinthemiddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word collector chart! What a fun, but simple idea! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That word collector anchor chart is the best! I am totally going to use it. I also love the desk rubric anchor charts. Thank you so much for your ideas.

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your "feature" on Budding Blogger! I am in limbo right now not knowing where I will be placed for the fall, so I love seeing ideas from all grade levels! While I have no idea how to get followers on my own blog... I love following others! Hope you keep enjoying life in "the middle"!!

    Amy
    www.3amcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my follower come from linky parties, so I would suggest doing those. Also leaving a link to your blog when you comment, like you did, has worked for me. Heading over to see you now!

      Delete
  6. I love your anchor charts! I never would have thought of doing a separate word collector for each book - great idea! I also love your neat desk scale! I have tables but I think I am going to adapt that to my book boxes.
    I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane,
    I love your word collector anchor chart and I plan to use it for a new novel I will be doing when we return from break! Thank you so much!!

    TeachingIsLove

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I reply back by email, so please make sure you have that option enabled. Have a great day!

Pin It button on image hover